Bowling Industry Online

The World's Only Online Magazine Devoted Exclusively to the Business of Bowling

Can the USBC keep cutting back on awards while raising dues and survive?

At Castle Lanes in Racine Wisconsin the League secretary of a healthy 60 member strong Wednesday night league approached me last night. He informed me that the league was thinking of not being sanctioned next year. 

I believe the catalyst for the league discussing this move came about when a bowler converting a 7 10 Split two weeks ago was informed that no USBC award
would be forth coming. If the league does go through with this move (against my
advice) the statistics will show league bowling lost 60 more bowlers when in
fact it is the USBC that will lose 60 members who choose to bowl with out them.

I will continue to push leagues to sanction with USBC but with the pull back of awards it really is turning into a hard sell. Believe me, I have not been getting very many good comments on the 1st place USBC refrigerator magnets. 

Phil

Castle Lanes

Views: 21

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The answer is yes. See "Buying Time for Reform", Listed further down in this discussion forum.
We ran into this same concern when one of our team members rolled a 277 which was 100 pins over his average. I asked our league secretary about the 100 over award and was informed that USBC no longer supplies any of these awards because of the cost. I was in the bowling business for over 20 years and in that time I floored 100's of new NON sanctioned leagues. My main goal was to develope new bowlers. Not sell ABC or WIBC memberships. The USBC are just shooting themselves in the foot by eliminating the smaller rewards that mean a hell of alot more to someone who will never shoot a 300.800 or 11 in a row. The increase in rewards costs was due to the 100,000 rings and plaques that are awarded every year to the top 1% of sanctioned bowlers. The USBC is a membership driven organization that will continue to lose members and force owners to continue to floor non sanctioned leagues. You are better off throwing your $18 or $20 bucks into a separate awards fund and do it yourself.
Brian,

I think USBC is opening the door for some other form of organized competitive play to come to being. Awards and recognition is the main reason bowlers pay to join the USBC. Especially when it comes to selling the membership idea to new recruits.

I am surprised that a bowling industry manufacturer with what they have at stake would not come up with their own membership awards program that would encourage league play and maybe even commercially add incentives to use their own product line.

As a proprietor I realize the importance of award and recognition. Our house extends cash and prize for bowling accomplishments on a daily basis. Our award system is old school and our league membership is fantastic.

Phil
Castlelanes.com
I hope your in house prizes include awards to Joe and Sue average bowlers. I have several programs that I have used in the past that might help. Let me know. bcahalan53@yahoo.com

Phil Ontko said:
Brian,

I think USBC is opening the door for some other form of organized competitive play to come to being. Awards and recognition is the main reason bowlers pay to join the USBC. Especially when it comes to selling the membership idea to new recruits.

I am surprised that a bowling industry manufacturer with what they have at stake would not come up with their own membership awards program that would encourage league play and maybe even commercially add incentives to use their own product line.

As a proprietor I realize the importance of award and recognition. Our house extends cash and prize for bowling accomplishments on a daily basis. Our award system is old school and our league membership is fantastic.

Phil
Castlelanes.com
It's amazing, but true. Bowlers and proprietors are really upset at the USBC for cutting back on all of the awards. I hear many justifications from the USBC on why awards don't matter, but no one is listening. To me, that is the scariest thing. I wonder what kind of solid research is done before changes like these are made?
We have had this discussion before on other forums......... the truth be told USBC is hurting and it needs to be treated like any other business, control expenses and increase revenues.............. But first the truth is that from that $18-$20 annual fee the national organization only takes about half....................... so tell me why does the local need that much money? they are volunteers and have very little over head...... time to tell the locals to forfiet all their excess funds to national. They should be limited to no more than a couple of dollars per sanction and send the $16 or $18 to national.

Then we as bowling centers need to promote and support sanctioning, USBC as a national association needs to take back control of its locals (membership) and redesign their dues structure and limit the total monies any local may retain....I would hate to see what could happen to our industry if we were to loose the governing body of our sport....
Daniel,

I agree there is need to support a governing body for bowling but I see no plan from the USBC for increasing revenues other than raising dues. And the USBC cutting back on awards to save on expenses is like a bowling center deciding to save money by not purchasing any more bowling pins. (Not an option)

I do worry how I will successfully continue to sell the pay more and get less business plan of the USBC.

Phil
Castlelanes.com
Scott:

It is the same rational that is prevalent in league meetings. Someone makes a motion to give money to the 1st place team instead of trophies, it gets seconded and passes. Now you have 33 night bowling programs that end with the first place team wining an extra ten bucks a man. “WOW”

At Castle My wife and I decided years ago that every bowler who wins 1st place in our house would take home a 1st place trophy complements of Castle Lanes. (No League has ever turned them down) Presenting awards is an important part of the league product we sell.

PS (I think your site great)

Thanks,

Phil
Castlelanes.com

scott frager said:
It's amazing, but true. Bowlers and proprietors are really upset at the USBC for cutting back on all of the awards. I hear many justifications from the USBC on why awards don't matter, but no one is listening. To me, that is the scariest thing. I wonder what kind of solid research is done before changes like these are made?
Why is it the resposibility of the of the operators to sell USBC memberships. If the USBC got notice that they will lose a million memberships in the next 5 years unless they get their act together and communicate with the bowling community it might light a fire up their butts to change their thinking. Just a thought.
Bowling is going to keep dieing people if we let the USBC keep running like it is. I am really thinking about not recommending my leagues be sanctioned next year. I am sure I will not sanction my youth bowlers no more! Owner 26 Lane Center in Michigan. I thought they were going to start working with us not against us? Looking for people that want to start a new sanctioning organization?
James, What do you propose for starting a new organization? Brian

James T Sager said:
Bowling is going to keep dieing people if we let the USBC keep running like it is. I am really thinking about not recommending my leagues be sanctioned next year. I am sure I will not sanction my youth bowlers no more! Owner 26 Lane Center in Michigan. I thought they were going to start working with us not against us? Looking for people that want to start a new sanctioning organization?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2021   Created by Stephanie Davis.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service